I think our builder is having a hard time with the design he came up with. The new porch roof comes to within 4-7 inches of the old house wall on the side. A conventional gutter will not fit in this space, but guttering is badly needed. He made up a gutter about a foot and a half long by bending metal into a box like a loaf pan. It does not span the whole length of the roof line, not does it butt up solidly to the old house wall. He claims he has put a diverter on the un-guttered area to divert it to the loaf pan. Our porch is soaked during every rain with water running down the wall of the old house. He put a downspout one third of the way down the loaf, but he just has that dumping under the porch, which is running into the crawlspace of the old house. He keeps promising to work on it, but I'm not sure he knows what he is going to do. I feel we need something that will be tight against both the roof of the porch and the wall of the old house, with the downspout in front like most houses. One of the problems is that the porch roof does not seem to be square with the old house so the space narrows. Any suggestions? Is there narrow guttering that would work? Thanks
It sounds like it was a bad idea from the start. The new roof should have been butted up to start, as to carry the rain away without a gutter. The new roof should have been built to fit. Sound like there's no quick fix that will last. Satisfaction from the contractor might be hard to come by.
It would probably be better to get the metal bent professionally for the gutter. There are companies that can bend metal and might be able to make a customized gutter for you. I don't think you'll be able to find anything that will work without customizing it yourself. That's a frustrating situation you are in. Good luck with it all!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes