Not sure if this is even the right place for this post...so bare with me....
I recently bought a split level home. This past month the walls in the stairway leading from the ground floor to the upperlevel have begun to sweat/leak and cause some minor drywall/paint damage.
I am at a loss for the cause, as there is no snow currently on my roof, and it has been extremely cold for the last week. (So I would think that eliminates the idea that snow may have blown in through a vent and then melted).
My only ideas are some how water is getting into the attic from where the lower roof ajoins to the upper part of the house (again how likely is that since it is below freezing everyday this week), or that somehow I have too much moisture in my attic. (I'd think that I would need to have a lot of moisture to cause that much sweat).
Also, my roof is only 5 year old.
Any ideas/suggestions. I am not very handy....but looking for starting spots incase I need to bring in a general contracotr.
Hi, I think your problem is lack of ventilation! Because of the differences in temperature the walls condense the air and create moisture. You must try and regularly "Air" the house by opening the windows etc for 5 to 10 minutes regularly each day....this will "change " the air. I maybe on the wrong track and it could be something different but give it a try.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees