Not sure if this is even the right place for this post...so bare with me....
I recently bought a split level home. This past month the walls in the stairway leading from the ground floor to the upperlevel have begun to sweat/leak and cause some minor drywall/paint damage.
I am at a loss for the cause, as there is no snow currently on my roof, and it has been extremely cold for the last week. (So I would think that eliminates the idea that snow may have blown in through a vent and then melted).
My only ideas are some how water is getting into the attic from where the lower roof ajoins to the upper part of the house (again how likely is that since it is below freezing everyday this week), or that somehow I have too much moisture in my attic. (I'd think that I would need to have a lot of moisture to cause that much sweat).
Also, my roof is only 5 year old.
Any ideas/suggestions. I am not very handy....but looking for starting spots incase I need to bring in a general contracotr.
Hi, I think your problem is lack of ventilation! Because of the differences in temperature the walls condense the air and create moisture. You must try and regularly "Air" the house by opening the windows etc for 5 to 10 minutes regularly each day....this will "change " the air. I maybe on the wrong track and it could be something different but give it a try.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!