Not sure if this is even the right place for this post...so bare with me....
I recently bought a split level home. This past month the walls in the stairway leading from the ground floor to the upperlevel have begun to sweat/leak and cause some minor drywall/paint damage.
I am at a loss for the cause, as there is no snow currently on my roof, and it has been extremely cold for the last week. (So I would think that eliminates the idea that snow may have blown in through a vent and then melted).
My only ideas are some how water is getting into the attic from where the lower roof ajoins to the upper part of the house (again how likely is that since it is below freezing everyday this week), or that somehow I have too much moisture in my attic. (I'd think that I would need to have a lot of moisture to cause that much sweat).
Also, my roof is only 5 year old.
Any ideas/suggestions. I am not very handy....but looking for starting spots incase I need to bring in a general contracotr.
Hi, I think your problem is lack of ventilation! Because of the differences in temperature the walls condense the air and create moisture. You must try and regularly "Air" the house by opening the windows etc for 5 to 10 minutes regularly each day....this will "change " the air. I maybe on the wrong track and it could be something different but give it a try.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love