Not sure if this is even the right place for this post...so bare with me....
I recently bought a split level home. This past month the walls in the stairway leading from the ground floor to the upperlevel have begun to sweat/leak and cause some minor drywall/paint damage.
I am at a loss for the cause, as there is no snow currently on my roof, and it has been extremely cold for the last week. (So I would think that eliminates the idea that snow may have blown in through a vent and then melted).
My only ideas are some how water is getting into the attic from where the lower roof ajoins to the upper part of the house (again how likely is that since it is below freezing everyday this week), or that somehow I have too much moisture in my attic. (I'd think that I would need to have a lot of moisture to cause that much sweat).
Also, my roof is only 5 year old.
Any ideas/suggestions. I am not very handy....but looking for starting spots incase I need to bring in a general contracotr.
Hi, I think your problem is lack of ventilation! Because of the differences in temperature the walls condense the air and create moisture. You must try and regularly "Air" the house by opening the windows etc for 5 to 10 minutes regularly each day....this will "change " the air. I maybe on the wrong track and it could be something different but give it a try.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes