Not sure if this is even the right place for this post...so bare with me....
I recently bought a split level home. This past month the walls in the stairway leading from the ground floor to the upperlevel have begun to sweat/leak and cause some minor drywall/paint damage.
I am at a loss for the cause, as there is no snow currently on my roof, and it has been extremely cold for the last week. (So I would think that eliminates the idea that snow may have blown in through a vent and then melted).
My only ideas are some how water is getting into the attic from where the lower roof ajoins to the upper part of the house (again how likely is that since it is below freezing everyday this week), or that somehow I have too much moisture in my attic. (I'd think that I would need to have a lot of moisture to cause that much sweat).
Also, my roof is only 5 year old.
Any ideas/suggestions. I am not very handy....but looking for starting spots incase I need to bring in a general contracotr.
Hi, I think your problem is lack of ventilation! Because of the differences in temperature the walls condense the air and create moisture. You must try and regularly "Air" the house by opening the windows etc for 5 to 10 minutes regularly each day....this will "change " the air. I maybe on the wrong track and it could be something different but give it a try.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 7 Ways to Make Your New House Look Old
- 11 DIYs for A Soundproofed Home
- 9 Ways to Get on Board with Pegboard
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 8 New Ways to Use Old Wooden Crates