I'm in the process of installing new windows in a house whose old windows did not have a nail flange, so I'll need to cover the nail flange of the new windows. Now, I could do some 1x3 trim around the windows, but I like the "no window trim" look, and see this as an excuse to put an additional layer of "siding" on the house. The question is, is it O.K. to put another layer of water-tight wood over the existing exterior? My house was a kit that it probably 30 years old, is post and beam, and has an exterior that is made up of vertical T&G car decking. (Real 2" x 7 1/2" planks) There is no house wrap in any of the walls I've opened so far, so air infiltration is likely where the T&G isn't airtight.
I'd like to use cedar T1-11 on a 45 degree angle for my siding, with Tyvek underneath. I know that T1-11 isn't highly regarded, but a house across town has it on an angle and you'd never guess it was T1-11. It looks like expensive cedar siding.
Oh, and can Tyvek be pushed into the valleys of the T&G, or is it supposed to be pulled tight?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Design a Better Bedroom: 9 Strategies
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Would You Live in a Floating Home?