I'm in the process of installing new windows in a house whose old windows did not have a nail flange, so I'll need to cover the nail flange of the new windows. Now, I could do some 1x3 trim around the windows, but I like the "no window trim" look, and see this as an excuse to put an additional layer of "siding" on the house. The question is, is it O.K. to put another layer of water-tight wood over the existing exterior? My house was a kit that it probably 30 years old, is post and beam, and has an exterior that is made up of vertical T&G car decking. (Real 2" x 7 1/2" planks) There is no house wrap in any of the walls I've opened so far, so air infiltration is likely where the T&G isn't airtight.
I'd like to use cedar T1-11 on a 45 degree angle for my siding, with Tyvek underneath. I know that T1-11 isn't highly regarded, but a house across town has it on an angle and you'd never guess it was T1-11. It looks like expensive cedar siding.
Oh, and can Tyvek be pushed into the valleys of the T&G, or is it supposed to be pulled tight?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!