Recently we had a free Home Energy Audit courtesy of our utility company and paid for by The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program, the auditor who owns a green insulation company, did the blower door test and checked the insulation in the attic, as well as looking for other signs of energy waste in the boiler, hot water heater, and appliances. The blower test did not reveal any great leaks, but he did recommend to spray foam insulation throughout the attic, particularly around the registers where the air conditioning ducts are, "there is alot of loss around the holes cut for the registers and also in the space above the kitchen cabinets", he said. He also wants to spray foam insulation in the basement below the bathtub, around the hole in the chimney, and around the pipes for the plumbing fixtures, all around the attic ceiling.
My questions are: 1)can I expect to see lower energy costs due to his efforts or is he just profitting by doing the job?
2)I dont really see the need to insulate and spray foam anywhere in the basement, seeing as the temperature really never changes much down there, and if you spray around the PVC plumbing, what if there's a leak in years to come, doesn't this complicate doing plumbing work?
The house was built in 1983, has layered insulation in the attic, and is in one of the retirement developments in Central New Jersey.
Please address both questions in your response and thanks much.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!