Recently we had a free Home Energy Audit courtesy of our utility company and paid for by The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program, the auditor who owns a green insulation company, did the blower door test and checked the insulation in the attic, as well as looking for other signs of energy waste in the boiler, hot water heater, and appliances. The blower test did not reveal any great leaks, but he did recommend to spray foam insulation throughout the attic, particularly around the registers where the air conditioning ducts are, "there is alot of loss around the holes cut for the registers and also in the space above the kitchen cabinets", he said. He also wants to spray foam insulation in the basement below the bathtub, around the hole in the chimney, and around the pipes for the plumbing fixtures, all around the attic ceiling.
My questions are: 1)can I expect to see lower energy costs due to his efforts or is he just profitting by doing the job?
2)I dont really see the need to insulate and spray foam anywhere in the basement, seeing as the temperature really never changes much down there, and if you spray around the PVC plumbing, what if there's a leak in years to come, doesn't this complicate doing plumbing work?
The house was built in 1983, has layered insulation in the attic, and is in one of the retirement developments in Central New Jersey.
Please address both questions in your response and thanks much.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 lUnexpectedly Sly Storage Spots
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight