I like to think of myself as a very handy person - I've done rough framing, run my own phone lines, installed new outlets.... but when it comes to roofs, I am a bit overwhelmed. It is when I finally stop and admit I am a young woman and in over my head ;)
I have a flat roof with a good slope, installed in 1997 (I just bought this, my first home). At some point, the gravel was scrapped off and an elastomeric membrane was installed by a DIY previous homeowner.
Last winter I had a 2 inch crack which I patched with tar/roof cement. Surprisingly, this was in the middle of the roof, not at flashing or an edge.
There are signs of two other such previous repairs (maybe - the elastomeric membrane in two places is brighter/looks newer).
This same evil previous DIY homeowner installed a kitchen vent hood and skylight with no flashing or tar. So I slathered those up good too, which got me through last winter.
Now I have been bringing out folks to do estimates on getting some real flashing put on the vent and skylight, as well as a proper chimney cap on an unused old chimney (the original kitchen had a wood burning stove).
The first estimate guy said he thinks I need a new roof if I am getting cracks in the middle. Is this a true statement in general?
If I do do a new roof, I really really like not having gravel for ease of inspection and repair. But the options are overwhelming. Can anyone enlighten me or point me to a good reference of the cost and durability of my various options? Googling has overwhelmed me even more, and I'm finding it hard to find an objective reference.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs