Hello - I'm hoping someone can provide some help with my heat pump issue. I'll try to explain it as best as I can.
This past summer we had a new 2-stage SEER 16 Heat Pump installed (not geothermal). We used to have a single zone in our townhouse but we had a second zone upstairs added. It has been working great till we switched over to heating now that the weather has turned colder. The heat pump heats both zones great and seems to be working well overall. The only problem is whenever it kicks on the unit outside is very noisy. It rattles rather loudly
then after a minute or two it quiets down and you really don't hear it running then. I had a contractor look at it and he explained from what I understand that the refrigerant is having to heat up quickly to get the heat pump running and that is very common. What's puzzling to me is since our heat pump is running fairly often with the cold weather I would think the refrigerant would keep warm and not have to heat up per se each time therefore causing the rattle. I had him check the unit's balance and that is fine too.
Can anyone give some feedback on this? Is this common? Can it be quieted? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Check the pump ignition system for problems, and make sure you don't have a tripped electrical circuit breaker or blown fuse. Check the thermostat to make sure it's working properly. Change the filter if it's dirty, and make sure there are no airflow blockages. If the air ducts are making noise when they expand and contract, you could try putting a dent in the side of the duct to make the surface more rigid. Rattles may be fixed by fastening loose parts, and if you're hearing squeaks inside the unit, you may need to replace or adjust the fan belt connecting the motor and the fan.
Simon - Alert Electrical
Simon - Alert Electrical
Heat Pump Duct Alteration
Heat Pump Freezing Up
Heat Pump runs continuously
Anyone have a Heat Pump in Midwest? does it work well
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight