Hello - I'm hoping someone can provide some help with my heat pump issue. I'll try to explain it as best as I can.
This past summer we had a new 2-stage SEER 16 Heat Pump installed (not geothermal). We used to have a single zone in our townhouse but we had a second zone upstairs added. It has been working great till we switched over to heating now that the weather has turned colder. The heat pump heats both zones great and seems to be working well overall. The only problem is whenever it kicks on the unit outside is very noisy. It rattles rather loudly
then after a minute or two it quiets down and you really don't hear it running then. I had a contractor look at it and he explained from what I understand that the refrigerant is having to heat up quickly to get the heat pump running and that is very common. What's puzzling to me is since our heat pump is running fairly often with the cold weather I would think the refrigerant would keep warm and not have to heat up per se each time therefore causing the rattle. I had him check the unit's balance and that is fine too.
Can anyone give some feedback on this? Is this common? Can it be quieted? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Check the pump ignition system for problems, and make sure you don't have a tripped electrical circuit breaker or blown fuse. Check the thermostat to make sure it's working properly. Change the filter if it's dirty, and make sure there are no airflow blockages. If the air ducts are making noise when they expand and contract, you could try putting a dent in the side of the duct to make the surface more rigid. Rattles may be fixed by fastening loose parts, and if you're hearing squeaks inside the unit, you may need to replace or adjust the fan belt connecting the motor and the fan.
Simon - Alert Electrical
Simon - Alert Electrical
Heat Pump Duct Alteration
Heat Pump Freezing Up
Heat Pump runs continuously
Anyone have a Heat Pump in Midwest? does it work well
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!