We just had a new flat roof installed and on the gable there was a small plywood door which leads to the attic which we never use---but it had gotten too rotten so we had it replaced and now it is just bare plywood--My husband wants to paint it but in NW Indiana the day and night temps have been 45 in the day and 33 at night with some colder and warmer temps--I say leave the door alone until next june when the temps are better for painting--one winter of bare wood wont hurt anything and painting now could cause more problems later--Who is right??
I wouldn't want water penetrating the plywood but painting it outside will definitely result in peeling paint. I'm not convinced that hanging a door that hasn't cured (it takes more than a few hours) would be much better though. Can you take it off, put plastic up to cover the hole and give the paint time to cure before rehanging?
UNFORTUNATELY THE DOOR CANT BE TAKEN OFF AND BROUGHT IN TO PAINT CAUSE IF WE LEFT THE OPENING EXPOSED WE WOULD HAVE ALL KINDS OF CRITTERS IN OUR ATTIC AND WE DID CONTACT FINALLY A PAINTER AND HE SAID LEAVE IT AS IS THIS WINTER BUT NEXT YEAR PAINTING SEASON WHEN IT WARMS UP NICELY PRIME IT FIRST AND THEN PAINT IT AND YOU SHOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM
One winter isn't going to hurt it, no. But you can do like the others said- such as taking the door off and bringing it inside to paint.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!