We just had a new flat roof installed and on the gable there was a small plywood door which leads to the attic which we never use---but it had gotten too rotten so we had it replaced and now it is just bare plywood--My husband wants to paint it but in NW Indiana the day and night temps have been 45 in the day and 33 at night with some colder and warmer temps--I say leave the door alone until next june when the temps are better for painting--one winter of bare wood wont hurt anything and painting now could cause more problems later--Who is right??
I wouldn't want water penetrating the plywood but painting it outside will definitely result in peeling paint. I'm not convinced that hanging a door that hasn't cured (it takes more than a few hours) would be much better though. Can you take it off, put plastic up to cover the hole and give the paint time to cure before rehanging?
UNFORTUNATELY THE DOOR CANT BE TAKEN OFF AND BROUGHT IN TO PAINT CAUSE IF WE LEFT THE OPENING EXPOSED WE WOULD HAVE ALL KINDS OF CRITTERS IN OUR ATTIC AND WE DID CONTACT FINALLY A PAINTER AND HE SAID LEAVE IT AS IS THIS WINTER BUT NEXT YEAR PAINTING SEASON WHEN IT WARMS UP NICELY PRIME IT FIRST AND THEN PAINT IT AND YOU SHOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM
One winter isn't going to hurt it, no. But you can do like the others said- such as taking the door off and bringing it inside to paint.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!