We just had a new flat roof installed and on the gable there was a small plywood door which leads to the attic which we never use---but it had gotten too rotten so we had it replaced and now it is just bare plywood--My husband wants to paint it but in NW Indiana the day and night temps have been 45 in the day and 33 at night with some colder and warmer temps--I say leave the door alone until next june when the temps are better for painting--one winter of bare wood wont hurt anything and painting now could cause more problems later--Who is right??
I wouldn't want water penetrating the plywood but painting it outside will definitely result in peeling paint. I'm not convinced that hanging a door that hasn't cured (it takes more than a few hours) would be much better though. Can you take it off, put plastic up to cover the hole and give the paint time to cure before rehanging?
UNFORTUNATELY THE DOOR CANT BE TAKEN OFF AND BROUGHT IN TO PAINT CAUSE IF WE LEFT THE OPENING EXPOSED WE WOULD HAVE ALL KINDS OF CRITTERS IN OUR ATTIC AND WE DID CONTACT FINALLY A PAINTER AND HE SAID LEAVE IT AS IS THIS WINTER BUT NEXT YEAR PAINTING SEASON WHEN IT WARMS UP NICELY PRIME IT FIRST AND THEN PAINT IT AND YOU SHOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM
One winter isn't going to hurt it, no. But you can do like the others said- such as taking the door off and bringing it inside to paint.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Clever Uses for the Space Under the Stairs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- House Quiz: Test Your Knowledge of U.S. Architecture
- 10 Things You Can Build with Plumbing Pipes
- Sweet Dreams: 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 18 Clever and Easy DIY Ways to Use Rope at Home
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 9 No-Sew Fabric DIY Projects to Dress Up Any Room
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight