After 5 inch of rain , we noticed that our walk in closet - (front end of the house sharing exterior wall) has small puddle of water. The closet floor is tiled. I noticed a small part of tile 2 inch is not grouted properly.
The adjacnet room & upstairs are dry. The water seems to be only on small concentrated area. Outside the exterior wall we have roof drains . what might be the cause & how should we proceed from here ?
Hi Bob. Big question for my Old House. We have an old farmhouse, built in 1924 and in my family for the ~the last 35years. It is in the suburbs of Chicago in Lombard. The land is 194x66 and the house itself is 24x38, with finished attic bedroom and unfinished basement. The detached garage is in disrepair. There are major issues within the house for long-term prospects – I believe the plumbing, electrical and basement (foundation) would need a complete overhaul. The house is livable for my fiancé and me but we are looking to make changes prior to starting a family. The house is not architecturally significant but it is warm, comfortable and sentimental. We will have our mortgage paid off in ~2 years. If the house could be repaired with an expansion/reno I expect the cost to be comparable to new construction. We are open to both options. Where do we start? When are the major repairs too much?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes