After 5 inch of rain , we noticed that our walk in closet - (front end of the house sharing exterior wall) has small puddle of water. The closet floor is tiled. I noticed a small part of tile 2 inch is not grouted properly.
The adjacnet room & upstairs are dry. The water seems to be only on small concentrated area. Outside the exterior wall we have roof drains . what might be the cause & how should we proceed from here ?
Hi Bob. Big question for my Old House. We have an old farmhouse, built in 1924 and in my family for the ~the last 35years. It is in the suburbs of Chicago in Lombard. The land is 194x66 and the house itself is 24x38, with finished attic bedroom and unfinished basement. The detached garage is in disrepair. There are major issues within the house for long-term prospects – I believe the plumbing, electrical and basement (foundation) would need a complete overhaul. The house is livable for my fiancé and me but we are looking to make changes prior to starting a family. The house is not architecturally significant but it is warm, comfortable and sentimental. We will have our mortgage paid off in ~2 years. If the house could be repaired with an expansion/reno I expect the cost to be comparable to new construction. We are open to both options. Where do we start? When are the major repairs too much?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 21 Ways to Spring Clean—Naturally
- Show Off: 9 Ways to Display a Collection
- The Best Paint Colors for Low-Light Rooms
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 8 Clever Storage Solutions for Pots & Pans
- 8 Creative OTHER Ways to Use a Closet
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- 15 Eye-Catching Front Door Options
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!