After 5 inch of rain , we noticed that our walk in closet - (front end of the house sharing exterior wall) has small puddle of water. The closet floor is tiled. I noticed a small part of tile 2 inch is not grouted properly.
The adjacnet room & upstairs are dry. The water seems to be only on small concentrated area. Outside the exterior wall we have roof drains . what might be the cause & how should we proceed from here ?
Hi Bob. Big question for my Old House. We have an old farmhouse, built in 1924 and in my family for the ~the last 35years. It is in the suburbs of Chicago in Lombard. The land is 194x66 and the house itself is 24x38, with finished attic bedroom and unfinished basement. The detached garage is in disrepair. There are major issues within the house for long-term prospects – I believe the plumbing, electrical and basement (foundation) would need a complete overhaul. The house is livable for my fiancé and me but we are looking to make changes prior to starting a family. The house is not architecturally significant but it is warm, comfortable and sentimental. We will have our mortgage paid off in ~2 years. If the house could be repaired with an expansion/reno I expect the cost to be comparable to new construction. We are open to both options. Where do we start? When are the major repairs too much?
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING