My trouble started when I
decided to remove a wall-to-wall mirror in order
to tape under it to patch an adjacent newly installed section of drywall. The mirror was glued to the wall with mastic, and removing it stripped off the top layer of paper from the drywall behind. I didn't
save the mirror, though it came off in one piece - pulling the mastic from the back removed the silver
plating. The drywall behind
was white, *perfectly* smooth, must have come from the factory primed. I mudded in the shorn paper, and the top (white) surface
wrinkled badly around the mudded area, so I tore off
the wrinkled part, way back.
Maybe I'll just tear off the entire surface, and use
the next layer of paper for mud. However, the next layer below also wrinkled
when mudded. So I bored a 1/2 test hole, and filled it with mud. A few hours later, the surrounding paper and
gypsum (I assume) had warped and crumbled. The
stuff can't be mudded, either on the surface or patching gouges. I've patched hundreds of drywall
dings, and never seen anything like this. What is this stuff, and what I do about it?
Can you skim coat plaster over greenboard drywall?
Framing getting wet
Need Advice, please!
Blocking for non bearing basement walls
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!