I had a rocky inspection on
an outside outlet. It's at the end of a 12ft. 3/4" schedule 80 conduit which is suspended under a deck above a pond. The outlets are only 5in. above the surface of the water. There were numerable code violations which I knew about and some I didn't. I inherited the mess from a previous owner. I'm basically re-doing the whole business. What I found was a 14/3 NM cable running through a small (1/2") hole in the exterior wall into the conduit, which abutted the exterior wall without a fitting or seal of any kind. That can't be the intent of the code - the cable is unprotected through the wall and the conduit is not protected against the infiltration of moisture, dirt, bugs, etc.
The conduit runs 12 feet to the junction box without any
support. I can only ascribe the situation to negligence and heedlessness - no one
could think this is satisfactory work.
I think the conduit should go through the wall. Since
the inspector ok'ed NM cable in a conduit not underground, I don't need a change-up junction box inside the wall. The cable should exit the conduit through a bushing, and should probably be clamped
between inside and outside.
The conduit should be mortared (outside) and oaulked (inside) into place,
and supported every 6-8 feet with a clamp. I'm going to move the outlets so they're at least 12in. above grade, and several feet away from the pond and muddy shore. I'm
not familiar with code here, but I just know what
ought to be good. What else
do I need to do?
Waterproofing an exterior deck so it can be tiled
Electric Panel Upgrade/Sizing Exterior Conduit for H...
Conduit necessary for exterior run?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Rakes Every Homeowner Should Know
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 13 Terror-ific Yards All Decked Out for Halloween
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- Deck the Doors: 10 Wreaths for Autumn Decorating
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY