I had a rocky inspection on
an outside outlet. It's at the end of a 12ft. 3/4" schedule 80 conduit which is suspended under a deck above a pond. The outlets are only 5in. above the surface of the water. There were numerable code violations which I knew about and some I didn't. I inherited the mess from a previous owner. I'm basically re-doing the whole business. What I found was a 14/3 NM cable running through a small (1/2") hole in the exterior wall into the conduit, which abutted the exterior wall without a fitting or seal of any kind. That can't be the intent of the code - the cable is unprotected through the wall and the conduit is not protected against the infiltration of moisture, dirt, bugs, etc.
The conduit runs 12 feet to the junction box without any
support. I can only ascribe the situation to negligence and heedlessness - no one
could think this is satisfactory work.
I think the conduit should go through the wall. Since
the inspector ok'ed NM cable in a conduit not underground, I don't need a change-up junction box inside the wall. The cable should exit the conduit through a bushing, and should probably be clamped
between inside and outside.
The conduit should be mortared (outside) and oaulked (inside) into place,
and supported every 6-8 feet with a clamp. I'm going to move the outlets so they're at least 12in. above grade, and several feet away from the pond and muddy shore. I'm
not familiar with code here, but I just know what
ought to be good. What else
do I need to do?
Waterproofing an exterior deck so it can be tiled
Electric Panel Upgrade/Sizing Exterior Conduit for H...
Conduit necessary for exterior run?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects