I had a rocky inspection on
an outside outlet. It's at the end of a 12ft. 3/4" schedule 80 conduit which is suspended under a deck above a pond. The outlets are only 5in. above the surface of the water. There were numerable code violations which I knew about and some I didn't. I inherited the mess from a previous owner. I'm basically re-doing the whole business. What I found was a 14/3 NM cable running through a small (1/2") hole in the exterior wall into the conduit, which abutted the exterior wall without a fitting or seal of any kind. That can't be the intent of the code - the cable is unprotected through the wall and the conduit is not protected against the infiltration of moisture, dirt, bugs, etc.
The conduit runs 12 feet to the junction box without any
support. I can only ascribe the situation to negligence and heedlessness - no one
could think this is satisfactory work.
I think the conduit should go through the wall. Since
the inspector ok'ed NM cable in a conduit not underground, I don't need a change-up junction box inside the wall. The cable should exit the conduit through a bushing, and should probably be clamped
between inside and outside.
The conduit should be mortared (outside) and oaulked (inside) into place,
and supported every 6-8 feet with a clamp. I'm going to move the outlets so they're at least 12in. above grade, and several feet away from the pond and muddy shore. I'm
not familiar with code here, but I just know what
ought to be good. What else
do I need to do?
Waterproofing an exterior deck so it can be tiled
Electric Panel Upgrade/Sizing Exterior Conduit for H...
Conduit necessary for exterior run?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Clearing the Air: 10 Natural Ways to Remedy Household Odors
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Celebrity Kitchens: Get the Look
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- Believe It or Not: 9 Incredible Faux Finishes You Can Do Yourself
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs