I had a rocky inspection on
an outside outlet. It's at the end of a 12ft. 3/4" schedule 80 conduit which is suspended under a deck above a pond. The outlets are only 5in. above the surface of the water. There were numerable code violations which I knew about and some I didn't. I inherited the mess from a previous owner. I'm basically re-doing the whole business. What I found was a 14/3 NM cable running through a small (1/2") hole in the exterior wall into the conduit, which abutted the exterior wall without a fitting or seal of any kind. That can't be the intent of the code - the cable is unprotected through the wall and the conduit is not protected against the infiltration of moisture, dirt, bugs, etc.
The conduit runs 12 feet to the junction box without any
support. I can only ascribe the situation to negligence and heedlessness - no one
could think this is satisfactory work.
I think the conduit should go through the wall. Since
the inspector ok'ed NM cable in a conduit not underground, I don't need a change-up junction box inside the wall. The cable should exit the conduit through a bushing, and should probably be clamped
between inside and outside.
The conduit should be mortared (outside) and oaulked (inside) into place,
and supported every 6-8 feet with a clamp. I'm going to move the outlets so they're at least 12in. above grade, and several feet away from the pond and muddy shore. I'm
not familiar with code here, but I just know what
ought to be good. What else
do I need to do?
Waterproofing an exterior deck so it can be tiled
Electric Panel Upgrade/Sizing Exterior Conduit for H...
Conduit necessary for exterior run?
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 10 Secret Rooms & Passages in Ordinary Homes
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers