I am a complete amateur when it comes to wiring, but am trying to learn to try to do things myself to avoid having to hire an electrician.
I bought an updated ceiling fan to replace the ceiling fan that was installed by the builders 10 years ago. The old fan was controlled by a 3-button wall switch with these buttons: Fan, For/Rev, and Light (and On/Off that controlled everything).
I removed the old fan and saw that there were 4 wires on the fan: black, white, blue, and green. In the ceiling there were 4 wires too: black, white, brown, and copper. They were attached as follows: black-black, white-white, brown-blue, copper-green.
When I put the new fan up, the instructions said that I should connect black-black+blue (black was fan hot, blue was light hot). At first I tried black-black and brown-blue like it was before, but only the fan would turn on, not the light. So I switched it to how the manual said, and both fan and lights work.
However, the whole unit (fan and lights) turn on when I hit the on/off switch on the wall, and the 3 buttons do nothing. I hear a slight "whir" in the fan when I do press the buttons, but nothing else happens. The pull strings work for on/off, but as it is on a vaulted ceiling, that really isn't an option for normal use in case we just want the lights or just want the fan on.
Did I buy the wrong type of ceiling fan that isn't compatible with the wall switch? Is there a different type of switch I can install in the wall to control the fan/light separately? If not, is there anything I can do to modify the fan so that it works with the switch?
Thanks for the help in advance!
bathroom fan keeps burning out
HELP PLEASE..Wall Switch
Wiring on ceiling/fan light combo with remote and in...
Wiring ceiling fan w/ 14-3 sheathed electrical cable
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!