I am a complete amateur when it comes to wiring, but am trying to learn to try to do things myself to avoid having to hire an electrician.
I bought an updated ceiling fan to replace the ceiling fan that was installed by the builders 10 years ago. The old fan was controlled by a 3-button wall switch with these buttons: Fan, For/Rev, and Light (and On/Off that controlled everything).
I removed the old fan and saw that there were 4 wires on the fan: black, white, blue, and green. In the ceiling there were 4 wires too: black, white, brown, and copper. They were attached as follows: black-black, white-white, brown-blue, copper-green.
When I put the new fan up, the instructions said that I should connect black-black+blue (black was fan hot, blue was light hot). At first I tried black-black and brown-blue like it was before, but only the fan would turn on, not the light. So I switched it to how the manual said, and both fan and lights work.
However, the whole unit (fan and lights) turn on when I hit the on/off switch on the wall, and the 3 buttons do nothing. I hear a slight "whir" in the fan when I do press the buttons, but nothing else happens. The pull strings work for on/off, but as it is on a vaulted ceiling, that really isn't an option for normal use in case we just want the lights or just want the fan on.
Did I buy the wrong type of ceiling fan that isn't compatible with the wall switch? Is there a different type of switch I can install in the wall to control the fan/light separately? If not, is there anything I can do to modify the fan so that it works with the switch?
Thanks for the help in advance!
bathroom fan keeps burning out
HELP PLEASE..Wall Switch
Wiring on ceiling/fan light combo with remote and in...
Wiring ceiling fan w/ 14-3 sheathed electrical cable
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!