We just had a heavy rainstorm and my basement collected a lot of water. I've been in this house for approximately one year and this was the first time that I noticed water in the basement. During the storm I observed water leaking from underneath the soffit above the basement window well. I initially thought it was a clogged gutter, but that's not the case. I inspected the attic as best I could during the storm but didn't notice anything leaking. The roofing shingles are in relatively good shape, but I noticed that the plywood around the house is about an inch shy of the fascia. There is a gap there, and the singles extend right to the gutter with very little overhang. My question ... Is this my problem? I've asked other people about the plywood not extending flush to the fascia and most people said it wasn't an issue. However after this evening, I think that it is. I'm thinking that water is finding it's way into that gap and leaking through the soffit joints. I was wondering if I could put flashing underneath the roofing shingles to close the gap between the plywood and gutter. Any advice would be appreciated.
I attached some pictures here:
I also attached a video of the leaking here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFHmxDuTWJM
The water was pouring out during the heaviest part of the storm.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!