I was living in an older home with an unfinished basement that flooded several times. The dining room floor is located above the basement.
I had a brand new rug over the dining room floor and when I removed it to clean there was a dark blackish spot about the size of the bottom of a round trash can. There were no stains on my new carpet from pets or any water/liquid spilled.
The new tenants after me also had a rug on that floor and now there are multiple spots throughout the floor; some darker than others.
The landlord is trying to sue me for over $1000 in damages. I need some advice on what could have possibly caused this. My initial thought was moisture in the floor or leakage from the basement yet no water was present. Could it be mold? What are my options? Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated (no I don't have a picture unfortunately). I've hired an attorney but I'm trying to gather additional information. Thanks so much for any input.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 10 Pretty Plants You Didn't Know Were Poisonous
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight