I was living in an older home with an unfinished basement that flooded several times. The dining room floor is located above the basement.
I had a brand new rug over the dining room floor and when I removed it to clean there was a dark blackish spot about the size of the bottom of a round trash can. There were no stains on my new carpet from pets or any water/liquid spilled.
The new tenants after me also had a rug on that floor and now there are multiple spots throughout the floor; some darker than others.
The landlord is trying to sue me for over $1000 in damages. I need some advice on what could have possibly caused this. My initial thought was moisture in the floor or leakage from the basement yet no water was present. Could it be mold? What are my options? Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated (no I don't have a picture unfortunately). I've hired an attorney but I'm trying to gather additional information. Thanks so much for any input.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers