I was living in an older home with an unfinished basement that flooded several times. The dining room floor is located above the basement.
I had a brand new rug over the dining room floor and when I removed it to clean there was a dark blackish spot about the size of the bottom of a round trash can. There were no stains on my new carpet from pets or any water/liquid spilled.
The new tenants after me also had a rug on that floor and now there are multiple spots throughout the floor; some darker than others.
The landlord is trying to sue me for over $1000 in damages. I need some advice on what could have possibly caused this. My initial thought was moisture in the floor or leakage from the basement yet no water was present. Could it be mold? What are my options? Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated (no I don't have a picture unfortunately). I've hired an attorney but I'm trying to gather additional information. Thanks so much for any input.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects