I was living in an older home with an unfinished basement that flooded several times. The dining room floor is located above the basement.
I had a brand new rug over the dining room floor and when I removed it to clean there was a dark blackish spot about the size of the bottom of a round trash can. There were no stains on my new carpet from pets or any water/liquid spilled.
The new tenants after me also had a rug on that floor and now there are multiple spots throughout the floor; some darker than others.
The landlord is trying to sue me for over $1000 in damages. I need some advice on what could have possibly caused this. My initial thought was moisture in the floor or leakage from the basement yet no water was present. Could it be mold? What are my options? Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated (no I don't have a picture unfortunately). I've hired an attorney but I'm trying to gather additional information. Thanks so much for any input.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes