I plan to re-side my house soon with vinyl siding. I have not been able to get these questions answered by other sources.
I only plan to be in my house for another 5 years, max., so I am trying to install good products, but nothing that I won't get my money out of.
1) If I replace soffits and possibly gutters also, what order is best to do it in? Should I do the soffits and then the siding, or vice versa...
2) Where the siding meets the soffit trim, do i just butt the siding, top trim piece up to the soffit trim piece, or do i need to seal it with something...?
3) In locations where the phone lines attach to the house, or other non-standard situations where there are not special trim pieces (like for faucets, lights...), what is the best way to attach things to, or through the siding?
4) Finally, I had planned to buy the basic siding at Menards. Will that be ok, should I go the next step up as far as quality?
Thank you, any assistance at all is greatly appreciated. I am fairly handy, but have never tackled a siding job.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Clever Uses for the Space Under the Stairs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- House Quiz: Test Your Knowledge of U.S. Architecture
- 10 Things You Can Build with Plumbing Pipes
- Sweet Dreams: 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 18 Clever and Easy DIY Ways to Use Rope at Home
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 9 No-Sew Fabric DIY Projects to Dress Up Any Room
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight