I've been in my house for 9 years and my roof has leaked 3 times in year. I'm guessing the flat roof is at least 15 years old. I get it coated every 2 years. I got estimates for my flat roof. Some want to remove existing roof and some want to leave it on. What is better? Also, there is a carport attached to house - some estimates include the carport, some don't.
A fifteen year old flat roof that has begun leaking should be reroofed. The money spent on remedial repairs will probably not stop it's accelerated degradation at this age. As for leaving the old roof in place or removing it prior to the installation of the new, first determine the condition of the roof deck (from the underside)making sure that there is no rotting. If the leaks are long term or if they were substantial, you may well have water in the roof system. This also warrants removal. If the roof and deck are dry, reroofing over the old is acceptable, making sure that you are not exceeding the dead load capacity of the structure. Finally, if the carport was built at the same time as the house, reroof it. The economies are there as compared to doing it later.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes