I've been in my house for 9 years and my roof has leaked 3 times in year. I'm guessing the flat roof is at least 15 years old. I get it coated every 2 years. I got estimates for my flat roof. Some want to remove existing roof and some want to leave it on. What is better? Also, there is a carport attached to house - some estimates include the carport, some don't.
A fifteen year old flat roof that has begun leaking should be reroofed. The money spent on remedial repairs will probably not stop it's accelerated degradation at this age. As for leaving the old roof in place or removing it prior to the installation of the new, first determine the condition of the roof deck (from the underside)making sure that there is no rotting. If the leaks are long term or if they were substantial, you may well have water in the roof system. This also warrants removal. If the roof and deck are dry, reroofing over the old is acceptable, making sure that you are not exceeding the dead load capacity of the structure. Finally, if the carport was built at the same time as the house, reroof it. The economies are there as compared to doing it later.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!