I'd love to replace a 2nd window in my bedroom with an exterior door to my backyard. The window is 29" wide & fits exactly in the recessed window opening. I can't find a pre-framed door that's 29" wide (making the door about 28"). I'd also like the top half to have glass, to keep the bedroom light.
I'd appreciate DIY instructions for opening the sheetrock wall, widening & studding for the narrowest door allowed by Code (probably 30"), installing a header (the window is about 2" lower than a door should be), etc. I've gotten outrageous estimates & it's a job I think I can handle with a friend or two.
In desperation, I thought of getting a recycled wooden door, ripping it to 28-1/2" & hinging it to the studs already in the wall! I'd add stops & a doorknob. Am probably crazy, but didn't they do it that way in the Old West?
Any instructions U can share? Many thanks!
I would leave this to a professional. This is something that needs to be right to be safe and secure.
Changing your own window and door, I don't think you are crazy at all and its possible with the help of a friend but keep in mind that if you don't do it right will end raising your energy bills due to poor insolation. But again the choice is yours.
Melted trim on exterior door
Tall Front Door
replacing an exterior door
Converting garage to room and need to replace door
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING