I'd love to replace a 2nd window in my bedroom with an exterior door to my backyard. The window is 29" wide & fits exactly in the recessed window opening. I can't find a pre-framed door that's 29" wide (making the door about 28"). I'd also like the top half to have glass, to keep the bedroom light.
I'd appreciate DIY instructions for opening the sheetrock wall, widening & studding for the narrowest door allowed by Code (probably 30"), installing a header (the window is about 2" lower than a door should be), etc. I've gotten outrageous estimates & it's a job I think I can handle with a friend or two.
In desperation, I thought of getting a recycled wooden door, ripping it to 28-1/2" & hinging it to the studs already in the wall! I'd add stops & a doorknob. Am probably crazy, but didn't they do it that way in the Old West?
Any instructions U can share? Many thanks!
I would leave this to a professional. This is something that needs to be right to be safe and secure.
Changing your own window and door, I don't think you are crazy at all and its possible with the help of a friend but keep in mind that if you don't do it right will end raising your energy bills due to poor insolation. But again the choice is yours.
Melted trim on exterior door
Tall Front Door
Converting garage to room and need to replace door
Reversing an exterior door from swinging out to swin...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects