I am building a very energy efficient house (I hope). I am using engineered 2x4 trusses with ½” or 5/8” OSB or plywood decking. I plan on spraying the inside of the trusses with icynene or equivalent and completely sealing the attic cavity.
Here is my quandary. How to install the metal roof on the OSB to reduce heat loading even more? I have heard of nailing/screwing 2x2 wood lathing to the decking on diagonal. The metal roof sheets are then screwed to the laths, creating an air space and air flow capability from eave to ridge. Continuous ridge vents would be installed on the peaks and some type of screened treatment at the eave line of the metal roof and OSB. Where can I get technical information or personal experience on this?
Remember that the metal panels will move each time they heat up or cool down. You must allow for movement or the panels will "oil-can" meaning they will wrinkle and shift. You can go directly to the manufacturer to get clips that attach to the deck that will allow for movement and air flow. Check out Follansbee Metals in W. Va. for "fair" priced metal systems.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes