I am building a very energy efficient house (I hope). I am using engineered 2x4 trusses with ½” or 5/8” OSB or plywood decking. I plan on spraying the inside of the trusses with icynene or equivalent and completely sealing the attic cavity.
Here is my quandary. How to install the metal roof on the OSB to reduce heat loading even more? I have heard of nailing/screwing 2x2 wood lathing to the decking on diagonal. The metal roof sheets are then screwed to the laths, creating an air space and air flow capability from eave to ridge. Continuous ridge vents would be installed on the peaks and some type of screened treatment at the eave line of the metal roof and OSB. Where can I get technical information or personal experience on this?
Remember that the metal panels will move each time they heat up or cool down. You must allow for movement or the panels will "oil-can" meaning they will wrinkle and shift. You can go directly to the manufacturer to get clips that attach to the deck that will allow for movement and air flow. Check out Follansbee Metals in W. Va. for "fair" priced metal systems.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!