We had a new roof put on this June. The old roof was cedar shake and it was removed. The new roof is "asphalt" composition shingle. Plywood was installed on the roof. Six turbines were installed on the roof with only 8 functioning vents (12 were installed, but 4 are in a "dead-end" vaulted ceiling roof. In addition, the vaulted ceiling area has a new ridge vent with very little free air below and no real connection to free attic space.
Our gas heating usage has gone up by 50% as measured by MCF even after controlling for temp/heating degree days. The gas company agrees that we have a problem. They inspected for leaks - found none. Are 8 to 12 small soffit vents sufficient for 6 turbines? Can these turbines draws so much as to pull hot air out of the heated part of the house? What would be the recommended number of 6 by 10 soffit vents for 6 12inch-diameter turbines? Do you have other recommendations?
Thanks so much, our pocket books ache for the higher usage/higher price gas.
I have asked the roofing contractor to recalculate the number of vents - there has been no reply as yet. I suspect they want to believe the 4 non-functioning vents work - but it appears to me that even 12 good vents are way too few. Thanks again.
You need to have more intake than exhaust. The minimum is to have an equal amount. Did your roofer pull a permit? Probably not. Your building dept will send an inspector to determine if the roofer did a job to code. Each city has different requirements. I am the installation manager of WeatherGard and would be more than happy to assist you. Email me at [email protected]
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes