I'm looking to get someone to wrap my fascia & soffit in aluminim & vinyl. Most of my fascia has seamless gutters already installed, except for the gable end of my house which is just uncovered wood.
I've had 4 people look at it and give me 4 different opinions. One said I didn't need to wrap the fascia with gutters already there. Another has said the gutters would need to come down and be reinstalled after the fascia is wrapped in aluminum. The third said they would loosen the gutters and slide the aluminum underneath and reattach the gutter after the aluminum is attached. The last person said he would not remove the gutters, because they are difficult to reattach without damaging, but would slide aluminum underneath the gutter from the bottom and then slide an overlapping piece underneath from the top.
The last approach seems like it my be a problem to be but I'm no expert. If someone can give me some advice, I would appreciate it.
The second guy is gonna do it the proper way,the gutters must come down. While they`re on the ground, take the chance to wash them inside and out. This will make re-sealing the corners, (if any) endcaps and downspouts much better. The coverage should go under the dripedge and return 3/4 back under the fascia or pannels. Make sure to use screws (2), back in the SAME holes on the gutters. The screws will grab the coverage. Make sure the pitch is properly re-installed. (You can lower them now if you wish but not raise them cuz the pipes will be too short) Gutters too high tend to get ripped down by ice dams more easily !! Finally, install an apron (some clip into the gutter) flashing over the top of the gutter and under the dripedge,...I know,..it will take another piece but it will last longer than caulk and not let water go down between.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes