I'm looking to get someone to wrap my fascia & soffit in aluminim & vinyl. Most of my fascia has seamless gutters already installed, except for the gable end of my house which is just uncovered wood.
I've had 4 people look at it and give me 4 different opinions. One said I didn't need to wrap the fascia with gutters already there. Another has said the gutters would need to come down and be reinstalled after the fascia is wrapped in aluminum. The third said they would loosen the gutters and slide the aluminum underneath and reattach the gutter after the aluminum is attached. The last person said he would not remove the gutters, because they are difficult to reattach without damaging, but would slide aluminum underneath the gutter from the bottom and then slide an overlapping piece underneath from the top.
The last approach seems like it my be a problem to be but I'm no expert. If someone can give me some advice, I would appreciate it.
The second guy is gonna do it the proper way,the gutters must come down. While they`re on the ground, take the chance to wash them inside and out. This will make re-sealing the corners, (if any) endcaps and downspouts much better. The coverage should go under the dripedge and return 3/4 back under the fascia or pannels. Make sure to use screws (2), back in the SAME holes on the gutters. The screws will grab the coverage. Make sure the pitch is properly re-installed. (You can lower them now if you wish but not raise them cuz the pipes will be too short) Gutters too high tend to get ripped down by ice dams more easily !! Finally, install an apron (some clip into the gutter) flashing over the top of the gutter and under the dripedge,...I know,..it will take another piece but it will last longer than caulk and not let water go down between.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 21 Ways to Spring Clean—Naturally
- Show Off: 9 Ways to Display a Collection
- The Best Paint Colors for Low-Light Rooms
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 8 Clever Storage Solutions for Pots & Pans
- 8 Creative OTHER Ways to Use a Closet
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- 15 Eye-Catching Front Door Options
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!