I'm looking to get someone to wrap my fascia & soffit in aluminim & vinyl. Most of my fascia has seamless gutters already installed, except for the gable end of my house which is just uncovered wood.
I've had 4 people look at it and give me 4 different opinions. One said I didn't need to wrap the fascia with gutters already there. Another has said the gutters would need to come down and be reinstalled after the fascia is wrapped in aluminum. The third said they would loosen the gutters and slide the aluminum underneath and reattach the gutter after the aluminum is attached. The last person said he would not remove the gutters, because they are difficult to reattach without damaging, but would slide aluminum underneath the gutter from the bottom and then slide an overlapping piece underneath from the top.
The last approach seems like it my be a problem to be but I'm no expert. If someone can give me some advice, I would appreciate it.
The second guy is gonna do it the proper way,the gutters must come down. While they`re on the ground, take the chance to wash them inside and out. This will make re-sealing the corners, (if any) endcaps and downspouts much better. The coverage should go under the dripedge and return 3/4 back under the fascia or pannels. Make sure to use screws (2), back in the SAME holes on the gutters. The screws will grab the coverage. Make sure the pitch is properly re-installed. (You can lower them now if you wish but not raise them cuz the pipes will be too short) Gutters too high tend to get ripped down by ice dams more easily !! Finally, install an apron (some clip into the gutter) flashing over the top of the gutter and under the dripedge,...I know,..it will take another piece but it will last longer than caulk and not let water go down between.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 67 Expert Tips to Aid Your Spring Cleaning
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight