We have been getting qoutes for vinyl siding (amazing the range of cost) and some have said to use house wrap & foam board or just to use Shelterwarp HD. My question is, do we need both the wrap and the foam, and if we do, does the foam borad go on first then the wrap?
The house has tar paper on it now.
Take the tar paper off...It will hold heat and contribute to drying out the vinyl, it will bleed through as well, by running down and collecting because of the waterproofing oils. Wrap the bare sheething after checking out the condition with house wrap. (Tyvec,ect,ect.) Use the correct size foam board , if not you can recess your window and door trim, and you don`t want to do that. If you`ve gone through the process of stripping down the old siding to the sheething , it makes sence to apply to the products` specs. The wrap is a moisture barrier and the foam is an insulator. You want both.Also if you apply a strip of Ice and water barrier (10")on the sheething and over the tops of all roof stepflashings or wall flashings, you will get much better protection against leaks due to ice and weaknesses in the siding. The tops of flashings are the weakest points. (horizontal travel and wicking)
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes