We have been getting qoutes for vinyl siding (amazing the range of cost) and some have said to use house wrap & foam board or just to use Shelterwarp HD. My question is, do we need both the wrap and the foam, and if we do, does the foam borad go on first then the wrap?
The house has tar paper on it now.
Take the tar paper off...It will hold heat and contribute to drying out the vinyl, it will bleed through as well, by running down and collecting because of the waterproofing oils. Wrap the bare sheething after checking out the condition with house wrap. (Tyvec,ect,ect.) Use the correct size foam board , if not you can recess your window and door trim, and you don`t want to do that. If you`ve gone through the process of stripping down the old siding to the sheething , it makes sence to apply to the products` specs. The wrap is a moisture barrier and the foam is an insulator. You want both.Also if you apply a strip of Ice and water barrier (10")on the sheething and over the tops of all roof stepflashings or wall flashings, you will get much better protection against leaks due to ice and weaknesses in the siding. The tops of flashings are the weakest points. (horizontal travel and wicking)
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!