I have decided to renovate my basement and have a small problem the floor is slightly sloped and given that I live in Montreal, Quebec, Canada the winter is quite cold and the floor will be too chilly to place a finish product to. the sloop is 2 inches from oneside to the other which spans approx 25ft. at the lower end from one corner to the next it drops 3/4 inch. I was planning to make a subfloor from 2x3 with 5/8 tounge and groove ply overtop and finish with alaminated wood flooring material. Your opinion of the best way to proceed would be appreciated ie, how to level and if I'm prceeding in the correct manner.
William,I hope I can be of some help.As far as leveling the concrete slab for a subfloor you could call a concrete contractor to form up and pour you a leveled concrete "skim coat" for lack of a better explanation. Then after the recommended curing period(ask your contractor)you could apply a coat of masonry primer to the leveled slab.Once the primer dries,snap chalked lines 16" across the short dimension of the room. Cover each line w/a heavy bead of a wood-concrete adhesive(i.e. Liquid nails heavy duty). Then embed random lengths of pressure treated 1X2's in the adhesive,leave about a 1/2" gap between ends of boards. Either nail 1 1/2 inch masonry nails through the boards @ 2' centers or use a power fastener(Hilti,remington).Cover w/ poly sheeting(for a moisture barrier)over your 1X2's and fasten a second coarse of 1X2's sandwiching the sheeting.For your cold floor problem I would at this point recommend placing 1/2" insulation boards between your second coarse of 1/2's over the plastic sheeting cut to fit between.Then top of the whole deal w/plywood subfloor!I know it's a lot of work man but your floor would now be level,moisture-proof,sound and warm.Well william,I hope that helps you!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes