I have decided to renovate my basement and have a small problem the floor is slightly sloped and given that I live in Montreal, Quebec, Canada the winter is quite cold and the floor will be too chilly to place a finish product to. the sloop is 2 inches from oneside to the other which spans approx 25ft. at the lower end from one corner to the next it drops 3/4 inch. I was planning to make a subfloor from 2x3 with 5/8 tounge and groove ply overtop and finish with alaminated wood flooring material. Your opinion of the best way to proceed would be appreciated ie, how to level and if I'm prceeding in the correct manner.
William,I hope I can be of some help.As far as leveling the concrete slab for a subfloor you could call a concrete contractor to form up and pour you a leveled concrete "skim coat" for lack of a better explanation. Then after the recommended curing period(ask your contractor)you could apply a coat of masonry primer to the leveled slab.Once the primer dries,snap chalked lines 16" across the short dimension of the room. Cover each line w/a heavy bead of a wood-concrete adhesive(i.e. Liquid nails heavy duty). Then embed random lengths of pressure treated 1X2's in the adhesive,leave about a 1/2" gap between ends of boards. Either nail 1 1/2 inch masonry nails through the boards @ 2' centers or use a power fastener(Hilti,remington).Cover w/ poly sheeting(for a moisture barrier)over your 1X2's and fasten a second coarse of 1X2's sandwiching the sheeting.For your cold floor problem I would at this point recommend placing 1/2" insulation boards between your second coarse of 1/2's over the plastic sheeting cut to fit between.Then top of the whole deal w/plywood subfloor!I know it's a lot of work man but your floor would now be level,moisture-proof,sound and warm.Well william,I hope that helps you!
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 67 Expert Tips to Aid Your Spring Cleaning
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight