Hello :) We are building a vivarium for our bearded dragon. We are very concerned with the possibility of using anything toxic. And with all the Bob Vila wannabes out there, there is SO much misinformation! The vivarium will require constant heating, and enclosure will have heat lamps, UVB bulb, and a Ceramic Heat Emitter fixture. So, all of that needs to be considered.
What is the safest wood, given the bearded dragon will be living inside of this enclosure?
What is the safest wood finish to use? We’d like to be able to steam clean the inside monthly. Is that a possibility?
What is the safest paint, should we decide to paint. Although I doubt we will :)
I’ve heard that liquid nails can be toxic. Are there any safe non-toxic glue adhesives that can be used? Or should we forgo any usage of glue?
How long should we wait to use the vivarium after constructing it (i.e.., wood finish fumes).
Thanks so much! We’re not carpenters, (and we’ve long since admired Mr. Vila’s skills and expertise - I'd so like to be able to build things even 1/2 as he does!!!)
Any additional advice is much appreciated!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!