Hello :) We are building a vivarium for our bearded dragon. We are very concerned with the possibility of using anything toxic. And with all the Bob Vila wannabes out there, there is SO much misinformation! The vivarium will require constant heating, and enclosure will have heat lamps, UVB bulb, and a Ceramic Heat Emitter fixture. So, all of that needs to be considered.
What is the safest wood, given the bearded dragon will be living inside of this enclosure?
What is the safest wood finish to use? We’d like to be able to steam clean the inside monthly. Is that a possibility?
What is the safest paint, should we decide to paint. Although I doubt we will :)
I’ve heard that liquid nails can be toxic. Are there any safe non-toxic glue adhesives that can be used? Or should we forgo any usage of glue?
How long should we wait to use the vivarium after constructing it (i.e.., wood finish fumes).
Thanks so much! We’re not carpenters, (and we’ve long since admired Mr. Vila’s skills and expertise - I'd so like to be able to build things even 1/2 as he does!!!)
Any additional advice is much appreciated!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!