Hello :) We are building a vivarium for our bearded dragon. We are very concerned with the possibility of using anything toxic. And with all the Bob Vila wannabes out there, there is SO much misinformation! The vivarium will require constant heating, and enclosure will have heat lamps, UVB bulb, and a Ceramic Heat Emitter fixture. So, all of that needs to be considered.
What is the safest wood, given the bearded dragon will be living inside of this enclosure?
What is the safest wood finish to use? We’d like to be able to steam clean the inside monthly. Is that a possibility?
What is the safest paint, should we decide to paint. Although I doubt we will :)
I’ve heard that liquid nails can be toxic. Are there any safe non-toxic glue adhesives that can be used? Or should we forgo any usage of glue?
How long should we wait to use the vivarium after constructing it (i.e.., wood finish fumes).
Thanks so much! We’re not carpenters, (and we’ve long since admired Mr. Vila’s skills and expertise - I'd so like to be able to build things even 1/2 as he does!!!)
Any additional advice is much appreciated!
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 “Stone Sober” Household Uses for Liquor
- 10 Fun Planters to Make with Everyday Objects
- 15 Spring Home Maintenance Musts
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Wow-Worthy Window Films: 11 Top Picks
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Air Quality
- 10 Ingenious Home Uses for Baking Soda