Hello :) We are building a vivarium for our bearded dragon. We are very concerned with the possibility of using anything toxic. And with all the Bob Vila wannabes out there, there is SO much misinformation! The vivarium will require constant heating, and enclosure will have heat lamps, UVB bulb, and a Ceramic Heat Emitter fixture. So, all of that needs to be considered.
What is the safest wood, given the bearded dragon will be living inside of this enclosure?
What is the safest wood finish to use? We’d like to be able to steam clean the inside monthly. Is that a possibility?
What is the safest paint, should we decide to paint. Although I doubt we will :)
I’ve heard that liquid nails can be toxic. Are there any safe non-toxic glue adhesives that can be used? Or should we forgo any usage of glue?
How long should we wait to use the vivarium after constructing it (i.e.., wood finish fumes).
Thanks so much! We’re not carpenters, (and we’ve long since admired Mr. Vila’s skills and expertise - I'd so like to be able to build things even 1/2 as he does!!!)
Any additional advice is much appreciated!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Amazing Homes Made from Shipping Containers
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Quick Tips for Tackling 10 Clutter Hot Spots
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them