Hi everyone. When Sandy came through our area here on Long Island, the flooding caused a nearby sewage treatment plant to fail, and we ended up with a few feet of sewage backing up from the toilet and shower in our finished basement.
It's been a rough month. The sewage was pumped out the next day, and we've been cleaning up as best we can ever since. Now it's down to what to do with the walls. Our walls are finished with wood paneling from the 60's or 70's, nailed to 2x4s, with paper backed fiberglass batting between the paneling and the cement foundation.
Even though I'm going to put in preventive measures for sewage backup or ground water intrusion, I want to refinish the basement with something that will be impervious to water, moisture, dampness, mold, etc.
I'm thinking of using Owens Corning rigid foam board between steel studs, and coving that with FRP (Fiberglass Reinforced Panels). Also thinking of using a cement backing board? Or, maybe paneling on the upper 2/3 of the wall, with plastic wainscoting on the lower half? All I know is, I dont want anything organic that'll feed mold.
There are "basement finishing systems" and contractors out there, but since I'm having to do this largely out-of-pocket I'm trying to do it economically, on my own.
Thanks for any help and feedback...
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 “Stone Sober” Household Uses for Liquor
- 10 Plant Containers to Make with Everyday Items
- 15 Spring Home Maintenance Musts
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Easy Ways to Revitalize Outdoor Furniture
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Wow-Worthy Window Films: 11 Top Picks
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Air Quality
- 10 Ingenious Home Uses for Baking Soda