Hi everyone. When Sandy came through our area here on Long Island, the flooding caused a nearby sewage treatment plant to fail, and we ended up with a few feet of sewage backing up from the toilet and shower in our finished basement.
It's been a rough month. The sewage was pumped out the next day, and we've been cleaning up as best we can ever since. Now it's down to what to do with the walls. Our walls are finished with wood paneling from the 60's or 70's, nailed to 2x4s, with paper backed fiberglass batting between the paneling and the cement foundation.
Even though I'm going to put in preventive measures for sewage backup or ground water intrusion, I want to refinish the basement with something that will be impervious to water, moisture, dampness, mold, etc.
I'm thinking of using Owens Corning rigid foam board between steel studs, and coving that with FRP (Fiberglass Reinforced Panels). Also thinking of using a cement backing board? Or, maybe paneling on the upper 2/3 of the wall, with plastic wainscoting on the lower half? All I know is, I dont want anything organic that'll feed mold.
There are "basement finishing systems" and contractors out there, but since I'm having to do this largely out-of-pocket I'm trying to do it economically, on my own.
Thanks for any help and feedback...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!