I'm planning to add a couple of walls in my basement to add a new workshop and storage area. In the past, I have drilled holes in the concrete and fastened the bottom sill plates with lag bolts.
However, I recently read on another Web page that you could just GLUE the sill plate to the concrete floor and fasten the top of the wall to the floor joists. Will that really work well enough?
Assuming that your using wood studs, generally you should put a bead of construction adhesive between the sole plate and the concrete. You should also secure the sole plate to the concrete with concrete fasteners. Either a low velocity .22 caliber ramset for quick and easy installation. Or if you find gun shots intimidating, masonry nails, a hand-drilled, and a strong works just as well. Also, a note of caution, please use pressure-treated sole plates to combat any unwelcomed moisture/leakage entering the basement.
bowing basement walls
basement walls deteriating
painting poured concrete basement walls
Painting poured concrete basement walls (Stamped Bri...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!