I'm planning to add a couple of walls in my basement to add a new workshop and storage area. In the past, I have drilled holes in the concrete and fastened the bottom sill plates with lag bolts.
However, I recently read on another Web page that you could just GLUE the sill plate to the concrete floor and fasten the top of the wall to the floor joists. Will that really work well enough?
Assuming that your using wood studs, generally you should put a bead of construction adhesive between the sole plate and the concrete. You should also secure the sole plate to the concrete with concrete fasteners. Either a low velocity .22 caliber ramset for quick and easy installation. Or if you find gun shots intimidating, masonry nails, a hand-drilled, and a strong works just as well. Also, a note of caution, please use pressure-treated sole plates to combat any unwelcomed moisture/leakage entering the basement.
bowing basement walls
basement walls deteriating
painting poured concrete basement walls
Painting poured concrete basement walls (Stamped Bri...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes