While installing a phone extension in my mother-in-law's house, and working in the attic, I noticed ice on the inside of the roof plywood along with the roofing nails coated with ice. This only seems to be on the East side of the house. The house is a ranch with a hip roof, aluminum siding, normal roofing shingels (about 5 years old), and the house is located in central New Jersey. The house is about 22 years old, and my mother-in-law said that she remembers seeing the ice on the inside of the roof even before the new roof was added. The insulation is on the floor of the attic and is about 6 inches thick (fiberglass). I'm not sure what R value that is. Also, when the temperature goes above freezing, the ice starts to melt and drips on the fiberglass insulation. What can be done to eliminate the ice forming inside the attic?
Attic condensation comes from leakage from your living space into your attic. Look for leaks, areas where air can move into your attic. If you have severe leakage, more ventilation would make it worse, creating a greater negative pressure in your attic.
moisture in attic
How to improve ventilation in attic
Old house has moisture problem in basement what the ...
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight