While installing a phone extension in my mother-in-law's house, and working in the attic, I noticed ice on the inside of the roof plywood along with the roofing nails coated with ice. This only seems to be on the East side of the house. The house is a ranch with a hip roof, aluminum siding, normal roofing shingels (about 5 years old), and the house is located in central New Jersey. The house is about 22 years old, and my mother-in-law said that she remembers seeing the ice on the inside of the roof even before the new roof was added. The insulation is on the floor of the attic and is about 6 inches thick (fiberglass). I'm not sure what R value that is. Also, when the temperature goes above freezing, the ice starts to melt and drips on the fiberglass insulation. What can be done to eliminate the ice forming inside the attic?
Attic condensation comes from leakage from your living space into your attic. Look for leaks, areas where air can move into your attic. If you have severe leakage, more ventilation would make it worse, creating a greater negative pressure in your attic.
moisture in attic
How to improve ventilation in attic
Old house has moisture problem in basement what the ...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!