our new old home (1940s colonial in DC 'burbs) had a finished attic. One side of the attic was finished for a home office. The gable window at this end had a small ac unit in one half and a swinging window on top of it. The other end was finished for storage with an in-swinging window. As far as I can tell, the windows are the only points of ventilation.
Now for the questions: How do I keep the attic cool w/o running the ac. How do I alliviate/eliminate moisture (evidence of mildew present)?
The attic is accessed thru a door in one of the Master BR's closet. This door is louvered! The heat collecting in the attic vents downward into the BR.
I would like to address this befor ethe oppressive DC summer kicks in.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects