our new old home (1940s colonial in DC 'burbs) had a finished attic. One side of the attic was finished for a home office. The gable window at this end had a small ac unit in one half and a swinging window on top of it. The other end was finished for storage with an in-swinging window. As far as I can tell, the windows are the only points of ventilation.
Now for the questions: How do I keep the attic cool w/o running the ac. How do I alliviate/eliminate moisture (evidence of mildew present)?
The attic is accessed thru a door in one of the Master BR's closet. This door is louvered! The heat collecting in the attic vents downward into the BR.
I would like to address this befor ethe oppressive DC summer kicks in.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 21 Ways to Spring Clean—Naturally
- Show Off: 9 Ways to Display a Collection
- The Best Paint Colors for Low-Light Rooms
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 8 Clever Storage Solutions for Pots & Pans
- 8 Creative OTHER Ways to Use a Closet
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- 15 Eye-Catching Front Door Options
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!