our new old home (1940s colonial in DC 'burbs) had a finished attic. One side of the attic was finished for a home office. The gable window at this end had a small ac unit in one half and a swinging window on top of it. The other end was finished for storage with an in-swinging window. As far as I can tell, the windows are the only points of ventilation.
Now for the questions: How do I keep the attic cool w/o running the ac. How do I alliviate/eliminate moisture (evidence of mildew present)?
The attic is accessed thru a door in one of the Master BR's closet. This door is louvered! The heat collecting in the attic vents downward into the BR.
I would like to address this befor ethe oppressive DC summer kicks in.
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING