It seems in the past I have seen a prefabricated window well (looks black and resembles the little yard ponds). We are interested in finishing our basement and basically the only type window well I have been able to find is the U-shaped metal one that has been around for years. It is necessary to be able to use these windows as potential escapes so the wells need to meet state and local codes. I would welcome any suggestions.
You need two means of egress if the basement is a bedroom. The stairs is one. A large window or walkout is the 2nd. The egresses must be big enough for a fireman AND GEAR to enter/exit the room.
Do the stairs leading into the basement from the first floor interior count as a means of egress. Or do the stairs have to lead to the exterior of the house?
Flooding Basement Window Wells
window well drains
Window Well Replacement
Egress window or walk out basement for basment remodel?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love