It seems in the past I have seen a prefabricated window well (looks black and resembles the little yard ponds). We are interested in finishing our basement and basically the only type window well I have been able to find is the U-shaped metal one that has been around for years. It is necessary to be able to use these windows as potential escapes so the wells need to meet state and local codes. I would welcome any suggestions.
You need two means of egress if the basement is a bedroom. The stairs is one. A large window or walkout is the 2nd. The egresses must be big enough for a fireman AND GEAR to enter/exit the room.
Do the stairs leading into the basement from the first floor interior count as a means of egress. Or do the stairs have to lead to the exterior of the house?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects