It seems in the past I have seen a prefabricated window well (looks black and resembles the little yard ponds). We are interested in finishing our basement and basically the only type window well I have been able to find is the U-shaped metal one that has been around for years. It is necessary to be able to use these windows as potential escapes so the wells need to meet state and local codes. I would welcome any suggestions.
You need two means of egress if the basement is a bedroom. The stairs is one. A large window or walkout is the 2nd. The egresses must be big enough for a fireman AND GEAR to enter/exit the room.
Do the stairs leading into the basement from the first floor interior count as a means of egress. Or do the stairs have to lead to the exterior of the house?
window well drains
Flooding Basement Window Wells
Window Well Replacement
Egress window or walk out basement for basment remodel?
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects Anyone Can Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 9 "Killer" Ways to Eliminate Weeds
- 142 Remarkable Houses Around the World
- Designers Reveal Today's Top 10 Bath Remodeling Trends
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 11 Amazing Homemade Sheds to Inspire Your Own
- Shelf Life: 10 Bookcase Projects You Can DIY
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight