I have 3 cracks in different walls that go from the ceiling to the floor. I would like some advice on how to repair them.
I have added 3" steel I beams verticaly 30" on center to support the walls. Also a past owner had replaced the walls and slugged the blocks with rod and mud.
I belive the cracking problem is repaired, I just don't know the correct solution to fix the cracks (They are less than a 1/4 wide)
There was an article in This Old House magazine (sorry Bob..) about using hydraulic cement to patch cracks in a foundation. according to the article, although it sounds opposite of 'fixing' a crack, one is supposed to enlarge the crack with a cold chisel, and then force hydraulic cement into the crack, quickly smoothing with the trowel and feathering the edges to blend with the wall using a moist brush. They suggested keeping a disposable bucket with water nearby to quickly wash off the cement from the brush and trowel as the cement sets quickly. Hydraulic cement is supposed to expand as it sets, creating a bond between the 2 sides of a crack. For what it's worth... good luck.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes