bowing basement walls
My first project is to build up the landscape around the house to divert the water away. The gutters and downspouts are all working properly and there are even pvc pipes that divert that water away from the downspouts.
Dryloc or products similar to that are a temporary solution, but what about sealing the basement and putting up reiforcement walls along the inside of the basement walls?
Using 2x6's as studs and drywall?
Keep in mind, I'm looking at simplicity and cost effectiveness.
Adding 2x6s will help prevent the house from suddenly collapsing, but is not a long term solution. There are no footers under these 2x6s.
Just how bad is this problem? If no one noticed it before, it can't be that bad. How bowed is the wall - 1/4", 1/2", several inches? A level and straight 2x4 can help you measure it.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees