Crawl space advice
Cover the FLOOR of the crawlspace w/6 mil plastic. Don't go stapling it to the bottom of the joists (where moisture would get trapped.) The Vapor Barrier, (as the plastic is referred to), should be NEAREST to the heated space (i.e., just under the sub-floor.) If the insulation is matted or bad, it should be replaced with Kraft-sided Insulation (which is installed with the Kraft side up against the heated floor.) DON'T go compressing the insulation in between the joists! It looses its R-value if you do so. Once it's loosely installed, then you can hang chicken wire under the joists (using staples), or criss-cross some NYLON string (not cotton string because it will rot) from joist to joist. It, too, can be stapled in place.
If you have vents under there, make sure they're not closed off. Make sure the plastic is 'held down' by something like pea gravel or pressure-treated lumber all around the edges. And lastly, insulate your pipes with the Pipe Insulation that's sold in the Home Centers. Make sure the 'seam' is facing DOWN (in case any condensation on the pipes needs to 'drip out'.) Do this first BEFORE you do the R-30 insulation installation. Remember, if the pipes are kind of in the way of the main insulation install, 'cut out' or 'slit' the necessary part of the main insulation to 'accommodate' the pipe. Then, if necessary, 'fill' the cavity with insulation. Batt Insulation needs to be 'loose' in order for it to work.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes