BUILDING AN EXTRA BATHROOM IN BASEMENT
Do I need a special permit?
Do I hire a contractor and how to find a good one?
PattyB is right. (I'll be saying the same think in 'other words' ...)
If your toilet (and whatever) is BELOW the current Vent Pipe in the yard, then if you were to get a sewer backup, your basement will be the FIRST place the 'stuff' ends up. Remember, sewage takes the path of LEAST resistance. This is why the Vent Pipe is the LOWEST point in the existing system. If you 'buck' that rule, you'll need to counter it w/either an upflush system or a one-way ball stop.
Yes, I'd hire a plumber to at least to the work to Code. From there, if you're game, you can do the finish work (and save some $$$.) Oh, and don't forget to update your Homeowner's Insurance for Sewage coverage ...
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 “Stone Sober” Household Uses for Liquor
- 10 Fun Planters to Make with Everyday Objects
- 10 Welcoming Front Door Paint Colors
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Wow-Worthy Window Films: 11 Top Picks
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Air Quality
- 10 Simple Projects for Beginning Woodworkers