BUILDING AN EXTRA BATHROOM IN BASEMENT
Do I need a special permit?
Do I hire a contractor and how to find a good one?
PattyB is right. (I'll be saying the same think in 'other words' ...)
If your toilet (and whatever) is BELOW the current Vent Pipe in the yard, then if you were to get a sewer backup, your basement will be the FIRST place the 'stuff' ends up. Remember, sewage takes the path of LEAST resistance. This is why the Vent Pipe is the LOWEST point in the existing system. If you 'buck' that rule, you'll need to counter it w/either an upflush system or a one-way ball stop.
Yes, I'd hire a plumber to at least to the work to Code. From there, if you're game, you can do the finish work (and save some $$$.) Oh, and don't forget to update your Homeowner's Insurance for Sewage coverage ...
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Ways to Use Leather in Your Next Project
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 9 Ways to Get on Board with Pegboard
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 8 New Ways to Use Old Wooden Crates