BUILDING AN EXTRA BATHROOM IN BASEMENT
Do I need a special permit?
Do I hire a contractor and how to find a good one?
PattyB is right. (I'll be saying the same think in 'other words' ...)
If your toilet (and whatever) is BELOW the current Vent Pipe in the yard, then if you were to get a sewer backup, your basement will be the FIRST place the 'stuff' ends up. Remember, sewage takes the path of LEAST resistance. This is why the Vent Pipe is the LOWEST point in the existing system. If you 'buck' that rule, you'll need to counter it w/either an upflush system or a one-way ball stop.
Yes, I'd hire a plumber to at least to the work to Code. From there, if you're game, you can do the finish work (and save some $$$.) Oh, and don't forget to update your Homeowner's Insurance for Sewage coverage ...
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Essentials for the Perfect Modern Bath
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Furniture Makeovers: 10 Total DIY Do-Overs
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them