How to make crawl space warmer
I agree - Check the insulation.
I replaced my insulation and ran nylon string in a perpendicular direction to the joists while using roofing nails to 'wrap' the string around as I went (to hold the insulation up. I used Kraft-sided insulation with the Kraft facing UP towards the heated floor.) The duct, itself, should be insulated independent of the floor. You can find duct insulation in the Home Centers.
Also, depending on where you live ..., if you have vents in the crawl, you may be OK to close them in Winter. Do check around.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: Forget heating the crawlspace. If you want a REALLY warm floor, look into a Warm Floor System. They're AWESOME. I'd do this as a LAST resort since you really won't enjoy the full benefits of it sinc you'll only be 'using' it during sleeping hours. Don't misunderstand me - That's nice. But a warm floor system is really 'cool' underfoot.
PPS: God bless America
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING