Yes, newspaper will 'invite' some unwanted critters.
There's Weed Block in any store that sells gardening supplies. But it's only good for a few years. Also, 3-4" of mulch should work. THing is, you need to maintain that 3-4". That means that you may need to 'add' mulch 2-3 times per growing season (assuming you live in a location like the NE ...)
Weeds are God's gift.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
The market provides a number of commercially available products for weed control in the garden that do not involve chemicals. Most of these are rolled black plastic sheeting that one lays on the ground and "staples" into place to prevent weeds from growing and to hold moisture in the ground. To plant in sucha garden, one needs to cut holes in the plastic where the plants will be set. Of course, without some sort of "under-the-plastic" watering system, one can see that while the plastic might keep the weeds down and keep initial moisture in, it also keeps the rain out....???
There are some commercially available products out there that are based more on fabrics that engineers and contractors have used for a number of years for erosion control. They're woven and non-woven rolled sheeting that use a variety of materials, some of which can be used for weed control, still allowing water to penetrate. Check your local garden center to see what's available.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!