I have a very heavy fire place hearth and there is a distinct sag in the floor and the hearth extension is sagging about 1/2". This caused the hearth extension to crack a bit near the fireplace opening.
I have spoken to several general contractors (both who have structural experience) and they suggested that I support the floor myself from the basement. They didn't want the job for whatever reason. Perhaps it's too small. Anyway, they both had similar suggestions:
- 2" x 6" CCA Lumber on the floor, and against the ceiling header that's sagging.
- 2 or 3 lally columns resting on a piece of the CCA 2 x 6 x 8 to distribute weight
- very very slowly jack up the header, like 1/8" a day or less
I specifically asked whether the columns needed to be fastened to the floor ... And they said "No". Does that make sense? I prefer not to shoot screws into my slab, but not sure if that's good advice. Ultimately, I would plan to disguise the columns into a shelf or cabinet. Any thoughts on this? Thank you in advance!
leveling a concrete floor
Newbie tackling a bathroom floor with ceramic tiles
Leveling a concrete floor
Sagging Floor Joists
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!