I'm framing in a part of my basement and would like to install carpeting in the new room. I do not have moisture problems but I laid down 6-mil plastic sheeting over the slab just in case. On top of the plastic, I have put down 1/2" CDX plywood as a sub floor and was planning to install the carpet over that. The problem is that the plywood is not flat. Some of the pieces are bowed or otherwise warped. Was this the wrong material to use or did the yard just send poor samples of the plywood. Will it flatten out over time? (yea, right) Thanks for any help or advise.
How did you fasten the plywood? 1/2" is pretty thin and will require many fasteners to keep it flat........
I haven't fastened it at all yet. I didn't want to punch a bunch of holes through the vapor barrier. I'm thinking now, I should just lay the pad and carpet directly on the plastic sheeting and give up on the underlayment. Either that or go with a thicker underlayment that would stay flat. It that posible without fasteners or adhesive? Also, the ceiling is only 6'10" so I'm trying not to eat into the headroom too much.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!