I am trying to split my exhaust fan and light in my bathroom from one switch to two separate switch. I purchased a Combination two switches, I am just not sure about the wiring.. what goes where.
I plan on using existing wire.. otherwise I will abandon this project, it is in an apartment complex and not worth the added effort.
There are a lot of wires in the gang box.. I tried to connect them how I thought it would work with no affect.
There are three bundles of wire.. what seems to be black, tan, and white in each bundle. The tan and white wires are all tied together and capped off. Two black wires were originally bridged together and then connected into the single switch. The last black wire, which i assume is the "common".
What I tried to do, assuming a SINGLE LING HOT was split the two bridged black wires into each pole of the new combination two switch i bought and the single black wire to the bridged common.
The result is one switch turns both of them on again and the other switch does nothing. Ideas?
Mind you these are older wires and colors might not be correct.. but I matched them properly. Also this is not a exhaust fan/light combo, separate fixtures with separate wiring to gang box.
Thanks in advance, if you need more depth/detail let me know.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Junk Mail
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps