I am trying to split my exhaust fan and light in my bathroom from one switch to two separate switch. I purchased a Combination two switches, I am just not sure about the wiring.. what goes where.
I plan on using existing wire.. otherwise I will abandon this project, it is in an apartment complex and not worth the added effort.
There are a lot of wires in the gang box.. I tried to connect them how I thought it would work with no affect.
There are three bundles of wire.. what seems to be black, tan, and white in each bundle. The tan and white wires are all tied together and capped off. Two black wires were originally bridged together and then connected into the single switch. The last black wire, which i assume is the "common".
What I tried to do, assuming a SINGLE LING HOT was split the two bridged black wires into each pole of the new combination two switch i bought and the single black wire to the bridged common.
The result is one switch turns both of them on again and the other switch does nothing. Ideas?
Mind you these are older wires and colors might not be correct.. but I matched them properly. Also this is not a exhaust fan/light combo, separate fixtures with separate wiring to gang box.
Thanks in advance, if you need more depth/detail let me know.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!