I am trying to split my exhaust fan and light in my bathroom from one switch to two separate switch. I purchased a Combination two switches, I am just not sure about the wiring.. what goes where.
I plan on using existing wire.. otherwise I will abandon this project, it is in an apartment complex and not worth the added effort.
There are a lot of wires in the gang box.. I tried to connect them how I thought it would work with no affect.
There are three bundles of wire.. what seems to be black, tan, and white in each bundle. The tan and white wires are all tied together and capped off. Two black wires were originally bridged together and then connected into the single switch. The last black wire, which i assume is the "common".
What I tried to do, assuming a SINGLE LING HOT was split the two bridged black wires into each pole of the new combination two switch i bought and the single black wire to the bridged common.
The result is one switch turns both of them on again and the other switch does nothing. Ideas?
Mind you these are older wires and colors might not be correct.. but I matched them properly. Also this is not a exhaust fan/light combo, separate fixtures with separate wiring to gang box.
Thanks in advance, if you need more depth/detail let me know.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!