I am trying to split my exhaust fan and light in my bathroom from one switch to two separate switch. I purchased a Combination two switches, I am just not sure about the wiring.. what goes where. I plan on using existing wire.. otherwise I will abandon this project, it is in an apartment complex and not worth the added effort. There are a lot of wires in the gang box.. I tried to connect them how I thought it would work with no affect. There are three bundles of wire.. what seems to be black, tan, and white in each bundle. The tan and white wires are all tied together and capped off. Two black wires were originally bridged together and then connected into the single switch. The last black wire, which i assume is the "common". What I tried to do, assuming a SINGLE LING HOT was split the two bridged black wires into each pole of the new combination two switch i bought and the single black wire to the bridged common. The result is one switch turns both of them on again and the other switch does nothing. Ideas? Mind you these are older wires and colors might not be correct.. but I matched them properly. Also this is not a exhaust fan/light combo, separate fixtures with separate wiring to gang box. Thanks in advance, if you need more depth/detail let me know.
Look closely at the new combo switch. You'll see one side is ganged together. This is the side the incoming hot wire connects to. The other side of the switch has two separate screws. One goes to the fan the other to the light. You need to find the single hot wire and connect it to the proper side of the switch.
3 gang switch x 2 - HELP
Need lots of Help. Ceiling Fan not working the way ...
Ceiling Fan with light and remote control
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!