I am trying to split my exhaust fan and light in my bathroom from one switch to two separate switch. I purchased a Combination two switches, I am just not sure about the wiring.. what goes where. I plan on using existing wire.. otherwise I will abandon this project, it is in an apartment complex and not worth the added effort. There are a lot of wires in the gang box.. I tried to connect them how I thought it would work with no affect. There are three bundles of wire.. what seems to be black, tan, and white in each bundle. The tan and white wires are all tied together and capped off. Two black wires were originally bridged together and then connected into the single switch. The last black wire, which i assume is the "common". What I tried to do, assuming a SINGLE LING HOT was split the two bridged black wires into each pole of the new combination two switch i bought and the single black wire to the bridged common. The result is one switch turns both of them on again and the other switch does nothing. Ideas? Mind you these are older wires and colors might not be correct.. but I matched them properly. Also this is not a exhaust fan/light combo, separate fixtures with separate wiring to gang box. Thanks in advance, if you need more depth/detail let me know.
Look closely at the new combo switch. You'll see one side is ganged together. This is the side the incoming hot wire connects to. The other side of the switch has two separate screws. One goes to the fan the other to the light. You need to find the single hot wire and connect it to the proper side of the switch.
3 gang switch x 2 - HELP
Need lots of Help. Ceiling Fan not working the way ...
Rewiring bathroom, need to remove a switch!!!!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Design a Better Bedroom: 9 Strategies
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Would You Live in a Floating Home?