water in my basement
The slope of the landscape may help prevent water from making its way to the well. I'm sure the water that's filling the well isn't falling directly into the well since it's covered. The landscape should slope 1" per foot for a minimum of 3' from the foundation.
Another idea is to lay in some filter fabric (not landscape fabric) in the well. Cover w/about 2" of 3/4" gravel. Then, install an OUTDOOR sump pump. Of course, there will be some piping, which can be bought and installed as 'flexible 2" piping', and it needs to be 'routed' somewheres. THis is what I have in my well and it, too, is covered. I get too much water from my uphill neighbor ...
My water makes its way via cracks along the foundation. You see, when the ground dries, the dirt 'separates' from the foundation just a little. Rain water makes its way to the separation and 'runs' along it into my well.
DO be aware of power outages. There are various systems out there if you go this route. Be sure you pump the water to a location that won't make its way BACK to the well! Make sure you meet the height requirements of the pump, as well as the piping distance. I just set my pump on top of the gravel and have it hooked up to a GFCI outlet outside. I live in SE PA so I see all kinds of weather.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING