water in my basement
The slope of the landscape may help prevent water from making its way to the well. I'm sure the water that's filling the well isn't falling directly into the well since it's covered. The landscape should slope 1" per foot for a minimum of 3' from the foundation.
Another idea is to lay in some filter fabric (not landscape fabric) in the well. Cover w/about 2" of 3/4" gravel. Then, install an OUTDOOR sump pump. Of course, there will be some piping, which can be bought and installed as 'flexible 2" piping', and it needs to be 'routed' somewheres. THis is what I have in my well and it, too, is covered. I get too much water from my uphill neighbor ...
My water makes its way via cracks along the foundation. You see, when the ground dries, the dirt 'separates' from the foundation just a little. Rain water makes its way to the separation and 'runs' along it into my well.
DO be aware of power outages. There are various systems out there if you go this route. Be sure you pump the water to a location that won't make its way BACK to the well! Make sure you meet the height requirements of the pump, as well as the piping distance. I just set my pump on top of the gravel and have it hooked up to a GFCI outlet outside. I live in SE PA so I see all kinds of weather.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects