water in my basement
The slope of the landscape may help prevent water from making its way to the well. I'm sure the water that's filling the well isn't falling directly into the well since it's covered. The landscape should slope 1" per foot for a minimum of 3' from the foundation.
Another idea is to lay in some filter fabric (not landscape fabric) in the well. Cover w/about 2" of 3/4" gravel. Then, install an OUTDOOR sump pump. Of course, there will be some piping, which can be bought and installed as 'flexible 2" piping', and it needs to be 'routed' somewheres. THis is what I have in my well and it, too, is covered. I get too much water from my uphill neighbor ...
My water makes its way via cracks along the foundation. You see, when the ground dries, the dirt 'separates' from the foundation just a little. Rain water makes its way to the separation and 'runs' along it into my well.
DO be aware of power outages. There are various systems out there if you go this route. Be sure you pump the water to a location that won't make its way BACK to the well! Make sure you meet the height requirements of the pump, as well as the piping distance. I just set my pump on top of the gravel and have it hooked up to a GFCI outlet outside. I live in SE PA so I see all kinds of weather.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Mirror Magic: 10 Ways of Using Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- 7 Powerful Cleaners in Your Pantry
- 10 DIY Ways to Dress Up Your House for Fall
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- Believe It or Not: 9 Incredible Faux Finishes You Can Do Yourself
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs