water in my basement
The slope of the landscape may help prevent water from making its way to the well. I'm sure the water that's filling the well isn't falling directly into the well since it's covered. The landscape should slope 1" per foot for a minimum of 3' from the foundation.
Another idea is to lay in some filter fabric (not landscape fabric) in the well. Cover w/about 2" of 3/4" gravel. Then, install an OUTDOOR sump pump. Of course, there will be some piping, which can be bought and installed as 'flexible 2" piping', and it needs to be 'routed' somewheres. THis is what I have in my well and it, too, is covered. I get too much water from my uphill neighbor ...
My water makes its way via cracks along the foundation. You see, when the ground dries, the dirt 'separates' from the foundation just a little. Rain water makes its way to the separation and 'runs' along it into my well.
DO be aware of power outages. There are various systems out there if you go this route. Be sure you pump the water to a location that won't make its way BACK to the well! Make sure you meet the height requirements of the pump, as well as the piping distance. I just set my pump on top of the gravel and have it hooked up to a GFCI outlet outside. I live in SE PA so I see all kinds of weather.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!