Basement Ceiling Insulation - up or down?
As far as a facing goes, insulation that supports a sound rating is not faced at all! It is actually a full size center. If your joists are 16" on center, you would think you need a15" batt, which is what normal insulation is. But sound insulation is a true 16" wide. Don't worry about it falling out, friction will hold it up long enough to put drywall up.
You can also take things a step father by using sound board, and RC1 channel as well. I can explain those to you if you wish.
I would suggest insulating the entire basement if you are going to improve the whole basement.
The above material will not be found in your local "Big Box"(you will confuse the heck out of them), you must go to an actual building material dealer. The company I sell for has been selling these items for offices, condos, ect. for years now.
By the way 5/8" will give you a better rating than 1/2".
By the way, forgive my ignorance here, but what is IC? Will my builder know what I am talking about???
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!