Basement Ceiling Insulation - up or down?
As far as a facing goes, insulation that supports a sound rating is not faced at all! It is actually a full size center. If your joists are 16" on center, you would think you need a15" batt, which is what normal insulation is. But sound insulation is a true 16" wide. Don't worry about it falling out, friction will hold it up long enough to put drywall up.
You can also take things a step father by using sound board, and RC1 channel as well. I can explain those to you if you wish.
I would suggest insulating the entire basement if you are going to improve the whole basement.
The above material will not be found in your local "Big Box"(you will confuse the heck out of them), you must go to an actual building material dealer. The company I sell for has been selling these items for offices, condos, ect. for years now.
By the way 5/8" will give you a better rating than 1/2".
By the way, forgive my ignorance here, but what is IC? Will my builder know what I am talking about???
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Decked Out: 12 Innovative Outdoor Living Designs
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 8 (Truly) Unexpected Storage Spots
- 12 Celebrities' Cool Pools
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Colorful Kitchens: 10 Bright & Bold Designs