Basement Ceiling Insulation - up or down?
As far as a facing goes, insulation that supports a sound rating is not faced at all! It is actually a full size center. If your joists are 16" on center, you would think you need a15" batt, which is what normal insulation is. But sound insulation is a true 16" wide. Don't worry about it falling out, friction will hold it up long enough to put drywall up.
You can also take things a step father by using sound board, and RC1 channel as well. I can explain those to you if you wish.
I would suggest insulating the entire basement if you are going to improve the whole basement.
The above material will not be found in your local "Big Box"(you will confuse the heck out of them), you must go to an actual building material dealer. The company I sell for has been selling these items for offices, condos, ect. for years now.
By the way 5/8" will give you a better rating than 1/2".
By the way, forgive my ignorance here, but what is IC? Will my builder know what I am talking about???
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees