Building a wall on a concrete basement floor
The clear intention is to use something as a soleplate that is rot resistant, but I wonder if there's other, safer alternatives such as using PVC or sealing the untreated pine with an exterior paint, or even wrapping the sole plate in 6 mil poly.
Anyone used an alternative where moisture was not seen as a major problem?
FWIW, the "dude" at ***** suggested using Thompson's Water Seal for the sole plate. My, how I miss old time hardware stores where the employees knew a doorknob from a dictionary! Not a totally stupid concept, but it sorta misses the issue of constant dampness vs. occasional wetness.
The arsenic in PT lumber is as inert as it can be. You would have to chew on it or smoke it for it to hurt you. Since the sole plate will be surronded by finish materials, there is liottle chance of that happening, no matter how hungry you are.
Likewise, using Thompsins would be a waste of money. It is just a wax seal. It would off gas soon with heat drying the volatiles that make it good.
Doing away with PT in a contact situation like this where moisture can get to the wood is likely to encourage the growth of mold which is far more dangerous, as it allows the spread of airborne spores to cause allergic reactions.
There is valid concern about PT in playground equipment where children can chew it or in gardens where acid soils can release compounds, or when it is burned to release them in the air and ash. But when it just sits, chemically bound in the wood in an inert form, it is silly to fear it. It won't reach out a grab your ankles in the dark.
But if you do still fear it, and you have a concrete contact situation that is primarily dry 99% of the time, use doug fir for the lumber and place a strip of thirty pound roofing felt between the lumber plate and the concrete to prevent moisture from wicking from one to the other.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes