Building a wall on a concrete basement floor
The clear intention is to use something as a soleplate that is rot resistant, but I wonder if there's other, safer alternatives such as using PVC or sealing the untreated pine with an exterior paint, or even wrapping the sole plate in 6 mil poly.
Anyone used an alternative where moisture was not seen as a major problem?
FWIW, the "dude" at ***** suggested using Thompson's Water Seal for the sole plate. My, how I miss old time hardware stores where the employees knew a doorknob from a dictionary! Not a totally stupid concept, but it sorta misses the issue of constant dampness vs. occasional wetness.
The arsenic in PT lumber is as inert as it can be. You would have to chew on it or smoke it for it to hurt you. Since the sole plate will be surronded by finish materials, there is liottle chance of that happening, no matter how hungry you are.
Likewise, using Thompsins would be a waste of money. It is just a wax seal. It would off gas soon with heat drying the volatiles that make it good.
Doing away with PT in a contact situation like this where moisture can get to the wood is likely to encourage the growth of mold which is far more dangerous, as it allows the spread of airborne spores to cause allergic reactions.
There is valid concern about PT in playground equipment where children can chew it or in gardens where acid soils can release compounds, or when it is burned to release them in the air and ash. But when it just sits, chemically bound in the wood in an inert form, it is silly to fear it. It won't reach out a grab your ankles in the dark.
But if you do still fear it, and you have a concrete contact situation that is primarily dry 99% of the time, use doug fir for the lumber and place a strip of thirty pound roofing felt between the lumber plate and the concrete to prevent moisture from wicking from one to the other.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs