I would like to make a flower bed around 5 large trees in our front yard. They line the front of our property and I think it would be a nice way to seperate our house from the road. I was planning on using 3 layers of alan block to create the height, but then I discovered how much it costs! Does anyone have other ideas to create a raised flower garden without spending a fortune!
Actually, raising the grade around any tree is setting the stage for doing damage to the tree, if not killing it. Tree roots grow where they do, in the layers of soil below the surface, because of the amount of air and water available at that level beneath the surface, and the level of compaction within the soil. Raising the grade decreases the amount of air and water within the soil, and increases compaction, thereby decreasing the ability of the tree to get what it needs to thrive. It's one thing to create a flower bed around trees at the same grade that the trees are used to, but it's not advisable to do so by raising the grade.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!