I would like to make a flower bed around 5 large trees in our front yard. They line the front of our property and I think it would be a nice way to seperate our house from the road. I was planning on using 3 layers of alan block to create the height, but then I discovered how much it costs! Does anyone have other ideas to create a raised flower garden without spending a fortune!
Actually, raising the grade around any tree is setting the stage for doing damage to the tree, if not killing it. Tree roots grow where they do, in the layers of soil below the surface, because of the amount of air and water available at that level beneath the surface, and the level of compaction within the soil. Raising the grade decreases the amount of air and water within the soil, and increases compaction, thereby decreasing the ability of the tree to get what it needs to thrive. It's one thing to create a flower bed around trees at the same grade that the trees are used to, but it's not advisable to do so by raising the grade.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes