Crack in Basement
If you're not familiar w/the building process and the problems that can go w/it, pay someone who does. It's a whole lot cheaper to get your questions addressed NOW than it is later and to have to deal w/the answers! Trust me!
Go to http://www.ashi.com and find a good HI. DON'T hire someone that use to be an EX-widget maker, or something. Make sure you do a background check on their qualifications.
Do this, and consider that over 30 years, you'll spend 3x's the price of the house. A few 100 $$$ is a drop in the bucket. My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: And hire a Real Estate Attorney too!!! Ya don't think the Builder had one draw up those contracts, don't ya??? Hire someone who's looking after YOUR interest BEFORE you sign papers ...
PPS: God Bless America!
When you go back into the basement, bring a heavy object (sledgehammer). Drop it on the floor-- not too much. If you hear echoes, then the dirt below the foundation is gone. If you hear a good solid thud, then the dirt is there (and I think the conclusion that the concrete was poured poorly is right on).
Remeber this final thought-- you are buying the house. Don't buy it unless you're certain.
I ignored plenty of stuff and have a few headaches, but that is the price you pay.
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING