Crack in Basement
If you're not familiar w/the building process and the problems that can go w/it, pay someone who does. It's a whole lot cheaper to get your questions addressed NOW than it is later and to have to deal w/the answers! Trust me!
Go to http://www.ashi.com and find a good HI. DON'T hire someone that use to be an EX-widget maker, or something. Make sure you do a background check on their qualifications.
Do this, and consider that over 30 years, you'll spend 3x's the price of the house. A few 100 $$$ is a drop in the bucket. My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: And hire a Real Estate Attorney too!!! Ya don't think the Builder had one draw up those contracts, don't ya??? Hire someone who's looking after YOUR interest BEFORE you sign papers ...
PPS: God Bless America!
When you go back into the basement, bring a heavy object (sledgehammer). Drop it on the floor-- not too much. If you hear echoes, then the dirt below the foundation is gone. If you hear a good solid thud, then the dirt is there (and I think the conclusion that the concrete was poured poorly is right on).
Remeber this final thought-- you are buying the house. Don't buy it unless you're certain.
I ignored plenty of stuff and have a few headaches, but that is the price you pay.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!