Crack in Basement
If you're not familiar w/the building process and the problems that can go w/it, pay someone who does. It's a whole lot cheaper to get your questions addressed NOW than it is later and to have to deal w/the answers! Trust me!
Go to http://www.ashi.com and find a good HI. DON'T hire someone that use to be an EX-widget maker, or something. Make sure you do a background check on their qualifications.
Do this, and consider that over 30 years, you'll spend 3x's the price of the house. A few 100 $$$ is a drop in the bucket. My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: And hire a Real Estate Attorney too!!! Ya don't think the Builder had one draw up those contracts, don't ya??? Hire someone who's looking after YOUR interest BEFORE you sign papers ...
PPS: God Bless America!
When you go back into the basement, bring a heavy object (sledgehammer). Drop it on the floor-- not too much. If you hear echoes, then the dirt below the foundation is gone. If you hear a good solid thud, then the dirt is there (and I think the conclusion that the concrete was poured poorly is right on).
Remeber this final thought-- you are buying the house. Don't buy it unless you're certain.
I ignored plenty of stuff and have a few headaches, but that is the price you pay.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Essentials for the Perfect Modern Bath
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Why You Should Reconsider Aboveground Pools
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs