Flooring in attic space
You need to install 'sleepers' on top of the floor joists. Install them perpendicular to the joists. If you install them @ 16" On Center, using 2 x 4's, you should be fine.
I suggest you DON'T install the sleepers to the floor joists! You should 'build' 4' x 8' sections and support them in a few 'areas' w/cut 2 x 4s. You don't want your 'temporary' floor to 'wobble'. You know - cross-brace the 2 x 4s to each other w/cut pieces. Also, don't 'attach' any of the sections to each other because, some day, you may have to MOVE/REMOVE them to do some work. Also, cut a good amount of 1" holes in the temporary floor for 'venting'. You can even leave a little 'space' between floor-sections for the same purpose. In short, the floor should be allowed to breath. ALSO, consider the weight on the joists in the attic that's going to be ADDED to by 1) the temporary flooring, and 2) the 'stuff' you're going to put on top of it. DO realize that depending on the joists, they MAY not be build/designed to hold much more weight. Consider this and spread out the weight. Put the heaviest 'stuff' over, or nearest, any weight-bearing wall below (NOT counting perimeter walls. These walls are most likely carrying the weight of the roof!) 5/8" plywood should be good.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: Consider the height-loss you're going to experience. It will CERTAINLY cut down on the headroom !!!
PPS: God Bless America!
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers