Flooring in attic space
You need to install 'sleepers' on top of the floor joists. Install them perpendicular to the joists. If you install them @ 16" On Center, using 2 x 4's, you should be fine.
I suggest you DON'T install the sleepers to the floor joists! You should 'build' 4' x 8' sections and support them in a few 'areas' w/cut 2 x 4s. You don't want your 'temporary' floor to 'wobble'. You know - cross-brace the 2 x 4s to each other w/cut pieces. Also, don't 'attach' any of the sections to each other because, some day, you may have to MOVE/REMOVE them to do some work. Also, cut a good amount of 1" holes in the temporary floor for 'venting'. You can even leave a little 'space' between floor-sections for the same purpose. In short, the floor should be allowed to breath. ALSO, consider the weight on the joists in the attic that's going to be ADDED to by 1) the temporary flooring, and 2) the 'stuff' you're going to put on top of it. DO realize that depending on the joists, they MAY not be build/designed to hold much more weight. Consider this and spread out the weight. Put the heaviest 'stuff' over, or nearest, any weight-bearing wall below (NOT counting perimeter walls. These walls are most likely carrying the weight of the roof!) 5/8" plywood should be good.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: Consider the height-loss you're going to experience. It will CERTAINLY cut down on the headroom !!!
PPS: God Bless America!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Essentials for the Perfect Modern Bath
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Stay Bite-Free with 8 High-Tech Bug Zappers
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Perk Up Your Garden with 10 New Perennials
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- Why You Should Reconsider Aboveground Pools